Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Goodbye Cyst, Hello China!

The last week has been a little worrying to be honest. Just before the Golden Tulip Triathlon last week I seemed to have what looked like a spot appear on the right eye brow, this grew and grew and grew, until it looked like something out of Star Wars (I'm sure it was just all my brain power trying to get out!). It turned out to be a cyst - not good, trust me it was very painful. So I popped to docs to get some help and advice, as it was starting to swell around my eyes and nose (I looked like something out of Avatar). I was starting to get really worried reference to the flight out to China and racing too as I also had a headache with it. After some pills and a small op from the doctor i.e. cutting a hole and squeezing all the crap out (cottage cheese) it felt so much better straight away and I have been able to get some sessions in this week while tapering. I think it just came about due to being run down after all the training and then going into taper I just relaxed and ended up with a second head!
We fly out this coming Tuesday and I picked up the visas yesterday – exciting! I just really struggle to believe that we are on our way to China and that we really going. It seemed such a pipe dream a year ago, when we were still living in Somerset, everything seemed so far away. I always wanted to go to places like China as a kid, but I never really thought it would happen. Now all I've got to do is race as hard as I can and qualify for Kona (fingers crossed). I am feeling the pressure a bit a lot of people have really put their faith in me, giving me time off work etc, we have spent a lot of money and Sarah and I have made a lot sacrifices in order to give me this chance, it's a massive opportunity that I do not want to let go by the way side.

I'll try to update the blog while we are in China in the lead up to the event, as I'm taking my laptop and hopefully we will have wifi in the hotel room.

This weekend all I've got left to do is a small ride with group and a steady 'fun' sea swim on Saturday, before coffee and a farewell to the team. Then that's it really, just finish work on the Monday evening and make our way to the airport.

Lastly, good luck to Marc this weekend at Ironman New Zealand, Taipo. Marc and I have done the lion’s share of all our training together and it's his first Ironman race. We'll be thinking of you mate this Saturday and keeping close taps on how you're getting on, you'll do amazingly well I know.

Train safe, race hard.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment