Saturday, February 27, 2010

Golden Tulip Tri and only two weeks to go.......


There is only two weeks until we race in Ironman China and only a week Tuesday till we fly out to China. Man, we are sooooo excited, not only to be racing an Ironman again, but to travel the see China, well some of it, not long now!

Yesterday, I race out near Abu Dhabi, Ghantoot in the Golden Tulip Sprint Triathlon. There were quite a few guys racing, including a couple of ones from the area who have been here for a while. The distances were a 600m swim, 26km bike and then a 6km run.

The race went well and it was a mass deep water start. I pretty much missed my draft in the swim, so I was on my own for most of it and I came out of the swim in 7th place overall, about a minute down, co I knew my work was set out. My T1 was fast, even through I was wearing a wetsuit.

Out on to the road on the bike and I was quickly hitting over 50kmph and I hit out at 58km! I quickly saw the guys in front and I knew what I had to do to hit the front. However I also knew that the guys coming up from behind were quick, so I really had to push the pace. As I was flying out on the bike I knew that the way back was going to be hard as! Er it was! 35kmph on the way back, ouch, but if it was bad for me it was going to be bad for everyone else!

I hit the turn around in first place and really put the hammer down to get a good lead off the bike, as I knew the guys coming through were strong runners. After the second lap I flew into T2, threw the trainers on and I was quickly out on the run course. After a loads of encouragement from all the team and the guys watching (esp coach and Sarah) I hit the pace hard for the first 2km, but I struggle a little at the turn around aid station. Seeing the other guys chasing me after the turn around I knew I had push the pace so I really kicked it hard and made my way towards the finish.

I crossed the line in first place. The team also scored first female, 2nd female, third female, 4th male and first vet male. It was pretty awesome to be honest, a great day at the office!

Right thats it from me, the next time I blog we'll almost be really to travel to China!

Train safe and well done to the team Tri2aspire!

Ed



No comments:

Post a Comment