Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ironman UK 70.3


Just over a week ago I was bedding down in my tent on the campsite at Wimbleball Lake in Exmoor National Park. The reason, to race Ironman UK 70.3. I really was not too sure how I was going to get on, as I don't think that I had really been able to prepare fully or as I would have liked to, not enough biking and brick/open water sessions.

We got to bed after a nice early evening walk with some friends, Matt and Justine, who we were camping with, they were also racing. The day started pretty early to be honest, as some of the race team were making a real noise, waking me up nice and early - too early! Once 4am had hit it was time to get some food inside me. Once I'd had breakie I popped into transition to sort the bike out ready for the off. Drinks on, tires pumped it was time to put the wetsuit on etc.

6am was coming around pretty damn fast and in the blink of an eye it was time to go to transition ready for the off at 6am. However, due to conditions a mist had formed on the lake and it was unsafe to enter the water. After an hour in transition and a couple pees for Matt and I, we wondered down to the lake's edge. I struggled to get into position ready for the start, as there were loads of athletes not moving from the start/finish chute.

Suddenly the gun went off and it was all start. It was quite a rough start to be honest, but I soon got into rhythm. I found some feet and worked hard throughout the swim, I got out thinking I had swam well, but a quick glance at my watch showed me that I had swam for 31 minutes! What? I couldn't believe it, all my hard work this year and I was slower that ever, I was gutted.

Anyhow, I made my way into T1, wetsuit off , bike stuff sorted and out onto the bike. I felt so much happier once I was sat on my saddle. The first hill was hard, but it was welcome and I soon found myself overtaking many who had finished the swim before me. Half way up and I passed a race mate/rival, Alan Ward from North Devon Triathlon Club much quicker than I thought I would. It was a nice confidence booster and from then on I just thought - right, game on, let's race! I rode with a group of riders for about 40 miles and it was only until the last 5 miles when I really opened up on the bike and went for it, breaking many of those who had ridden with me.

I when into T2 not sure how I would feel, but as I passed my race rig across to the helper and got my legs moving, I felt great and I was pleasantly surprised. Grasping my bag, I got my trainers/sun visor on and headed out onto run section for 13.1miles.

To be honest if I had seen Sarah on the first laps I might have given up, but I didn't and by half way into the second lap I was actually feeling quite good. However, I was cramping going onto the flats, but there weren't to many of them to be honest, so I just soldiered on. I finished the run by lapping a friend of mine and out sprinting a fellow racer who had just bared off ready to finish.

Overall it was a great race and I finished 37th overall, 31st male and 19th non-professional out of 1000 athletes. My finish time was 5.06:02 an 11 minute improvement on last year. I am pretty happy to be honest, I was hoping to go under the 5 hour, but if I'm honest my run time was 2 seconds faster than in Clearwater, the flat World Championships. I had qualified again to race there this year, but I turned the slot down, in preparation for Prague/the Europeans and our move to Dubai both in August.

On the whole a good day at the races, now I'm ready for week off training and the delivery of my age group kit and my new race bike - a Planet X Stealth!

Chill for now.

Ed

1 comment:

  1. Nice one Ed!!
    Great race.
    I rode alongside you on the first lap and then I don't know quite what happened, just ran out of gas around 20 miles!!
    I found the whole race a real struggle and I've got to go back again!!!! Good luck at the Europeans. I'm off to Antwerp in August for the 70.3 to experience how Europeans put on a race. Should be good fun!!
    Just a quick question - how do you find the Blue Seventy suits? I'm in a 2xu and I'm not convinced it's right for me, so looking around.

    All the best
    Steve

    ReplyDelete