Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 6 - Challenge 100, done.


I started with these legs, so I'll finish with 'em too.

When I started this challenge I started it for one reason. When I first started running properly about 5 five years ago I used read these crazy articles a out Paula Radcliffe running 100miles a week in training etc. I thought 'Jesus, how the hell does she do that?'

Well, a load of Ironman races down the line and a whole load of training, I still never could really imagine what it was like to run that far in training in a week. So I decided that as it was my off season, I could give this a real crack. Go back 6 days and I was standing on the drive of 34 Enfield Avenue, New Waltham, Grimsby ready to get started. If I'm honest with you, it was hard mentally and physically, my legs are now shot for a day or two and I'm I'm looking forward to some down time this week with Sarah and Jack, as we're popping up to Northumberland to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary.

Today was hard going, this morning was 20km very slow at just over 5min/km pace and, then this evening I finished off with just under 5min/km pace, so all in all I'm over the moon with the week and how it's gone. There are a couple of things which have come from doing this challenge, Firstly, me 'BIG' toe, which I've had real trouble with over the last two years has been fine, no worries at all, which is great. Secondly, I always find how amazing all these challenges/race I do are mostly in the head. Most of the people I have raced against are way faster/fitter than me, but I do believe that I'm mentally stronger than most, why? I don't know, but it seems to be the case.

Over the the six days a couple of this things happened, what with Mr Shuffle passing onto the machine heaven and several visits to peoples houses on road trips that were organised prechallenge, but there was one thing that I kept on thinking about during each of my runs. That was my old pal Jonathan Peel, who passed away 2 years ago whilst on a run in Wiltshire, leaving his young family. The guy was one of the best you could meet, he was happy, always with a 'Chrissie Wellington' smile and he never had anything bad to say about anyone, also he was a huge geek with the biggest heart ever. There a are so many people out there who miss him everyday and for that very reason this challenge is dedicated to him.

Jonathan Peel RIP


Just finished!

Be safe as always,

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment